Thursday, March 5, 2009

Equality . (and . Why . We . Should . Mean . It)

For a blog about fashion and design, there's little room for political discussion. However, I can't think of anything that would be more in style than equal rights for everyone, and this seems like a fine time for a discussion of that very issue.

California's State Supreme Court has made the decision to hear arguments regarding the Proposition 8/Gay Marriage Ban that passed last fall. In the United States, the fight for Civil Rights has been long, arduous, and certainly not without setbacks. It was not until 1870 that African Americans were given the right to vote, and it was a full 50 years later before women were extended that same right.



Following these wins, people still needed to continue to argue for desegregation in schools, and equal opportunity for education and employment.

After such hard won gains, it baffles me that some people in the United States actually fight to deny others equal opportunity, specifically the opportunity to get married. I understand that not everyone agrees with homosexuality, and while that is not my view, I support peoples' right to believe such as they see fit.

What I find unconscionable is that some in the country are denied the liberties that others are not. No one has ever told me what I can and cannot do - I have the ability to marry or not marry as I see fit - and if that is my right, so should it be everyone else's, regardless of sexual orientation.

Equal Rights = Equal Rights for Everyone.



"America lives in the heart of every man everywhere who wishes to find a region where he will be free to work out his destiny as he chooses." - Woodrow Wilson



Borrow a badge to make your voice known and help to support a Pretty Little World for everyone!!



Stickers from Stamp and Shout

5 comments:

drollgirl said...

sing it, sister! i am with you all the way. if people want to marry, let 'em.

Courtney said...

Very well put. I completely agree.

Teresa @ good-grace said...

I'm with you, sister! Super post!!!

Jojo said...

Wow, such a great post, I couldn't agree more! I will never understand why we can't all just get along...

ara133photography said...

I agree completely - I love the "marriage = love + love" bit, that's exactly how I see it as well.